Thursday, December 10, 2009

Possum

This is the name that I see very befitting of my last blog for my travels around Australia.

As we left Cairns and started to fly over the Northern Territory it was clear why no one lived here, because it was so barren and isolated. As we landed, to our shock it was not as hot as we first expected. It was unlike Cairns where the humidity was suffocating, it was more of a dry heat which was much better. Anyway, the next day we left for our four wheel drive safari to Uluru (The large rock in Australia), in our beat down 4x4 called Possum hence the name for the blog. So let me give you the low down on this truck. It was officially the oldest truck ever. One door on the front does not open, it does not go into fifth gear, the air con does not work properly and the floor heated up to a temperature so hot that you could not keep your feet on it. It melted Kim’s thongs and shrank it by two sizes.
 
So after setting off at 6.30am that day we arrived at our first pit stop were we rode camels which was quiet cool. We then set off for our long ride to Uluru. We walked around the base which amazingly took 2 hours but still managed to get some amazing pictures. The next day we returned to the rock and managed to catch the sunrise at 6am which meant we were up at 5am (crazy I know!). The last day we went to Kings Canyon which was wicked. The views in the garden of Eden which was situated right in the middle of the canyon was very cool.


That about it for my travel to Alice springs, the only other think that is worth mention is the fact that most people didn’t speak English on the trip and there was this was this family form France that stood out in particular. They id not speak a word of English (will the mother understood a bit), and at the start of the trip it was clear that they had no idea what they had let them self in for. As when we got to the camp site we had to explain that we would not be sleeping in a hotel but in the outback lol. But over time we manage to win them over, after our frist dinner conversation were we talked (or at least make signs) about were we was from and how long it took us to get here from France. As the trip continued the family seemed to give more and more, but still talking in French. But for some reason I always seem to have an idea about what they was talking about and was able to explain to the rest of the group (most of the time) even the German ask if I could understand French (lol I wish), but despite there lack of English they worked hard and gave there all, most admirable I must say.

So that was it from my 5 weeks of traveling round oz. lots of packing tones of flying and a whole leap of diving lol. It has been amazing and I would not have had it any other way, the people the places and not forgetting my favorite girl in the whole of Australia MS KIMBERLY ANN BRUCE!!!! Who has made this trip unforgettable (very proud of her). Despite all her foolishness, crazy moments, only being able to say I don’t know every time I asked a question, tripping up at least three time a day and last but not least trying to steal my through as she continue to say “I was just thinking that” thank you all you will be truly missed…

London.
XXX                     

No comments:

Post a Comment